Fight with your child every day to do reading and math? I know we have those days. Instead of losing your mind trying to get your child to finish their assignment turn it into an activity! These are some things I do. First I put the problems or words on a card/piece of paper.
- Scavenger Hunt: I tape the papers all around the house and our daughter has to find them bring them to me and solve/read them. Sometimes I give clues as to where the next one is. Big TIP make a list of where you put the papers cause if you are like me you will lose them.
- Animal and the Food: I tell our daughter she is an animal like a mouse and she is hungry if she completes the problems/read then she gets to keep them and eat them making her a happy mouse.
- Hop to the Finish: I place the papers all about the living room with a finish line. Some of the path ways do not lead to the finish and she would need to back track and find the correct path. In order to move to the next paper she has to correctly solve/read the paper.
The next set of games we use a whiteboard but any piece of paper would work.
- Teach Me: I write the problems/words down and set up my iPad so that she can see herself and tell her to make a video of her teaching how to do the problems.
- Pick a Problem: This game is not always a winner but to mix it up from doing work on paper helps sometimes. I just write the work on a white board and she does them. This worked a lot at first but if you do this to often then it is not as effective.
- Tell Me What To Do: I write the problems down and have our daughter me exactly what to do and write down what she says.